8/21/2010

“To Infinity then.”  Bubba, p. 269.
Review of 
Infinity: Chronicles of Nick
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
I say I control my destiny and my life. No, nothing controls me. Ever. 

Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is renowned. But his whole world is suddenly turned upside down on the night his best friends try to kill him. 
Saved by a mysterious warrior, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters - immortal vampire-slayers who risk everything to save humanity - and he quickly learns that the human worls is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one that’s filled with all kinds of evil. Nick knows he’s in real danger and he soon has a lot more to deal with than high school - all without getting grounded, suspended ... or killed. 
(Backcover text.)
Okay, so this is The Book to read when you’re down. It is so much fun and a thrilling ride that you will forget that thing you were depressed about before. I read it in a day, which is a record even for me. There are so many oneliners in this book, that I just want to write down and cover my walls with. Or, better yet, freak out some friends who have no idea what the book is about. 
The awesomeness aside, there is depth in this book. The characters have morals - however deep they may be - and they have things they believe in. I love the prologue, it’s so differently written from the rest, that it stands out and it’s touching, really. You gotta forgive me, but Nick’s words there, they touched me. I’m a sap like that. AND it proves that this book is beyond moronic zombie-mashing. Not that zombie-mashing isn’t good. 
So, the main character is Nick Gautier - gods, I love his last name. He’s the very definition of streetwise and sarcastic, witty, whatever you want to define it as. He is absolutely awesome and so much fun to read! The way he tells the story is capturing and he has this inner voice that differs from what I’ve read elsewhere. He has his faults too, that he sometimes really badmouths people or that he might not always think what he does. Or that he isn’t exactly as strong as he might want to be, but he comes to terms with that and gods, he has guts! 
He has depth in him, that really comes out at points, when he is faced with a ground-shattering problem. The sarcasm, wittiness etc. aside, he actually has something really smart to say at times and proves a point. Plus, his caring for his mother is possible the best thing I’ve ever read. Not many books out there have this kind of mother-son relationship.
I could go on and on about him, but let me say that there’s way more to him that we are shown here. 
Kenyon has written an awesome cast of characters, that I could talk about for hours. But. 
Nick’s mom, is the toughest cookie ever. She has backbone, that Nick has obviously inherited and she does what she has to do, to provide her son a home and food. She tries to her best and their relationship is particularly hilarious to read. And I bet she has an especially interesting backstory. Simply, she’s the best mother that I have read in books.
Big Bubba Burdette and Mark. My friend read this book first, as she bought it for me from London, and she was gushing on and on about these two. So for her sake, I’m telling you, they are funniest guys ever - feels like I’ve said that before.. They have these rules and way of doing things and to Nick, they seem crazy at points. But the best part is, they aren’t, that they really know what they are talking about. You could say they are the best at what they do, but they aren’t perfect, or the best. They just do it with this attitude that makes you believe it so. 
Okay, so there are like a dozen of other characters. 
There’s Nekoda Kennedy, who somewhat plays the part of the love interest and has probably one of the coolest names ever. We are not told much about her, but she seems true enough, even if she is clearly hiding something.. She’s intriguing and because she has little “screening time” it’s hard to say anything else about her. Well, the way Nick described her was a little ugh, but I guess that’s what you could expect from young teenaged boy. Still, I’d lay it down a little. 
Then there’s Kyrian Hunter and Acheron Parthenopaeus, another pair that have the most brilliant names ever and the attitudes. We are not told much about them etiher, but as the Chronicles of Nick is supposed to be tied with another series, I suppose I’m just not up to speed. Still, they’re Dark-Hunters who kick ass and are a joy to read. 
Madaug St. James is another fellow with the best name ever and quite possible the only guy who does not kick ass constantly. He’s still just as much a part of the game as the others and you couldn’t quite get him until some way into the book. And hey, he learns a lesson and has this geek thing going on. Oh yeah, this guy is a good one. 
Two characters that make a short or a shorter appearance are a guy named Caleb, who seems to have the same attitude as Nick, but with a darker side and a chip on his shoulder. He has depth too, but he’s one of the characters that seem to be constantly hiding something, even if they’re telling secrets. 
The Simi. This girl here is mysterious, or at least to other characters, as the reader is told a little more about her. She’s a delicious thing and provides a female character that is just as crazy as the guys and kicks ass just as much. Also, she has many of the best lines in the book and I can’t wait to freak some friends out by quoting her. 
Now, the characters are absolutely of the mind-blowing variety and frankly, so is the plot. It has these curves and bends that you can’t see beforehand. You’re just enjoying the ride, thrilled with the characters, when the plot literally creeps out from behind and whacks you on the head. And this is said as a good thing, believe me. There are moments when you think you know what is going on and then you don’t know what is going on, because the plot just dumped something else on you. No, the book isn’t confusing, it’s filled with surprises. And Kenyon writes them with such a talent and ease, that you’ve read the book before you even realise it. Like I said, it surprises you. The writing just flows on the pages and I at least swallowed it up like a madman. 
Kenyon really knows her characters and knows exactly where she wants to take you with the story, so the story doesn’t have a quiet moment. 
Calming down a little, I’ve come to realise that there are some things that have been used by other writers before, like zombies for example (don’t want to spoil you too much) but not like this. There is nothing in here, that I’ve seen other writers do. And I have a feeling, that if anyone else but Kenyon were to try writing them out, they wouldn’t be able to.
What I think is the best part, is that there’s always somebody hiding something, so that you have to, in a way, connect the dots, thinking, hey, isn’t that what he said a while ago? And I bet there are a lot of answers in her Dark Hunters-series, which I unfortunately haven’t read. And the second book, probably too. 
What can I say? This book is a good read, really fun and exciting. It isn’t too gory, I know this, because Resident Evil still haunts me sometimes, so no fear of that. And all that action that might be too gory, is (nearly) put into shadow, thanks to Nick’s incredible inner monologue. 
The only problem this book has is that it ends. It’s been so long for me since I actually hated a book because it ended, or waited anxiously for the next one. So this was awesome! If you’re wondering, that book series was The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. But that aside, I shall end this review with three things:
A bow and a thank you to Sherrilyn Kenyon. 
A shout to everyone to read this book!
And a terrible need to re-read it again. Which I will be doing now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment